Legalisation of Documents

Legalisation of Documents

This can be a very long and time-consuming process, please start it well in advance!

In order to ascertain the authenticity of your Diploma and Transcript of Records, we need to receive duly legalized copies of these documents. Please carefully read the information on the Ghent University website about the legalization methods per country and how to get your documents correctly legalized.

The legalisation method depends on the country where the diploma was issued (check the list of countries per legalisation method on the Ghent University website):

  • Apostille: your country has signed the Hague Treaty, you are therefore required to submit an official copy with original Apostille seal. More information can be found on
  • Certified Copy: The country where your diploma was issued has a special agreement with Belgium and you are therefore required to submit a copy taken of the original primary document by a qualified official who guarantees its authenticity as a true copy. More information about certified copies can be found on the Ghent University website.

Note: you might have to contact the institute that issued your diploma to obtain a certified copy or to find out what the procedure is to have your diploma apostilled or legalized.

Note: if your higher education diploma is not issued in English, it needs to be translated by a certified translator and the original plus the translation need to be added to your application.

Note: students with a Chinese degree should be aware of the APS screening. More info on the Ghent University website.